Students learn about how similar most humans are genetically and work through a hypotheical molecular forensics scenario.
Estimated Time of Activity
2 to 3 hours
Students will be able do the following as a result of the activity:
- Discuss the size and general variability of the human genome.
- Define SNP
- Explain in simple terms the function of the P protein
- Have students guess the size of the human genome
- Discuss the size and variability of the human genome
- Hand out the activity worksheet
- Discuss the OCA2 gene and how its variability leads to eye color and albinism
- Have students work through hypothetical forensic problem on activity sheet
Students should have each correctly decoded the protein sequence in the foresic problem and have chosen the correct variant.
- Slide or drawing showing size of human genome and amount that varies
- Student activity worksheet